Current COVID-19 rules

Current COVID-19 rules

Frequently asked questions on the current COVID-19 rules.

1. Which rules currently apply in Tirol?

The following rules currently apply:
  • 2G Rule as a prerequisite for entry into Austria (vaccinated, recovered). People who are fully vaccinated or have had and recovered from COVID-19 must also provide a negative PCR test or proof that they have received a third dose (booster).
  • 2G Rule to access many areas of everyday life (vaccinated, recovered).
  • FFP2 masks compulsory in indoor areas and (from 11 January) in outdoor areas if it is not possible to maintan social distancing of at least 2 metres, on public transport and ski lifts.
  • Contact details must be collected from everyone who stays longer than 15 minutes.
For further details please click on the respective question below.

2. What is the 2G Rule?

  • 2G stands for geimpft (vaccinated) or genesen (recovered).
  • The 2G Rule applies to many areas of everyday life such as travelling to Austria, going to a bar or restaurant, staying at a hotel or attending events.
To comply with the 2G Rule you must provide the following:
  • Proof that you have been fully vaccinated with an officially approved COVID-19 vaccine.
  • A medical certificate, a certificate according to Article 4 Paragraph 18 of the Epidemics Act, or a certificate from the health authority ordering you to self-isolate due to a COVID-19 infection (no more than 6 months old).

3. Do children also have to provide a 2G Rule certificate?

  • Children up to the age of 12 years do not have to provide a 2G Rule certificate.
  • The 2G Rule applies to children over the age of 12.
  • The COVID-19 test certificate from school (Ninja Pass) can be used as a 2G Rule certificate by persons in compulsory education (up to 15 years of age). This applies in the week in which the standard testing intervals are observed, including Friday, Saturday and Sunday of that week.
  • For Austrian children and adolescents between 12 and 15 years of age (school age), the Ninja Pass is treated as equivalent to a 2G Rule certificate and can therefore also be used to access restaurants, cinemas and ski lifts.
  • Schoolchildren from other countries visiting Tirol aged 12 to 15 years of age can use the Holiday Ninja Pass. This is considered equivalent to a 2G Rule certificate if the testing frequency is the same as in Austrian schools.

Download the Holiday Ninja Pass.

For more information on the rules for using ski lifts, see Being active.

4. In which areas of everyday life does the 2G Rule apply?

A 2G Rule certificate (proof that you are fully vaccinated or have had and recovered from COVID-19) is mandatory for the following areas:
  • Services and retail (except shops selling the basics needed for daily life)
  • Trade fairs, public fairs, congresses
  • Leisure facilities
  • Hospitality industry
  • Hotels and other accommodation locations
  • Cultural venues
  • Non-public sports facilities
  • Travel coaches and sightseeing boats
  • Ski lifts and cable cars
  • Gatherings

Persons without a valid 2G Rule certificate remain under lockdown and can only leave their homes for specific reasons.

5. Green Pass and vaccination certificates. What do I need to know?

  • The Green Pass includes evidence of having received a COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination certificate) or having recovered from COVID-19 (certificate of recovery from infection in the last 180 days).
  • Each 2G Rule certificate has a unique QR code – this can be used to easily and securely check the certificate when entering, for example, hospitality locations, cinemas, theatres, events, swimming pools, etc.
Since 1 July 2021 the Green Pass has been in use across the EU. However, please be aware that there are sometimes different rules in different countries. In Austria, the following applies:
  • The digital Green Pass is available on the government website (German only). Here you can also find instructions on how to get your Green Pass and how to log in.
  • The official app for the Green Pass is available under the name "Green Pass" in the iOS App Store for the iOS operating system and in the Google Play Store for Android.
  • Proof of vaccination can also still be provided in paper form or by showing your vaccination card.

Details on the Green Pass.

6. Vaccinations. Which vaccination certificates are accepted?

  • All EMA-approved vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 are accepted.
  • Proof of vaccination can be provided in the form of an EU-accepted vaccination certificate, the yellow Austrian vaccination pass (“Impfpass”), a vaccination card or a printout or PDF of the data from your e-vaccination card.
  • Single-dose vaccines: People who receive an EMA-approved single-dose vaccine are considered fully vaccinated on day 22 after receiving the vaccine. Their vaccination certificate is then valid for 270 days.
  • Double-dose vaccines: People who receive an EMA-approved double-dose vaccine (BioNTech/Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca) are considered fully vaccinated from the day of the second dose. At least 14 days must have elapsed between the two doses. Their vaccination certificate is then valid for 270 days.
  • Further vaccinations (3rd dose/booster): After receiving a further vaccination, the validity period of the vaccination certificate is reset to 270 days.
  • Important! Vaccination certificates for the single-dose vaccine by Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) become invalid on 3 January 2022. A second dose is required at least 14 days after the first dose for the vaccination certificate to remain valid.
  • Vaccination of people who have had and recovered from COVID-19: Provided that a positive molecular biology test for SARS-CoV-2 was available at least 21 days prior to vaccination or evidence of neutralising antibodies is already available at the time of vaccination, people who have had and recovered from COVID-19 and receive a single dose of an EMA-approved vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 can use their vaccination certificate for a period of 270 days starting from the day of vaccination.

7. Incomplete vaccination series. What applies to people who have only received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine?

Lockdown restrictions continue to apply to all persons who have not either been fully vaccinated or had and recovered from COVID-19.

8. Recovered persons. Which documents can be used as proof of recovery?

  • A recovery certificate is valid for 180 days.
  • A medical confirmation is valid for 180 days after an having recovered from an infection with SARS-CoV-2. This infection must have been proven by molecular-biological testing (e.g. PCR test).
  • A certificate from the health authority ordering you to self-isolate due to a COVID-19 infection is also valid for 180 days.

9. FFP2 face masks. Who has to wear one and in which situations?

  • FFP2 face masks must be worn in enclosed indoor spaces  and (from 11 January) in outdoor areas if it is not possible to maintan social distancing of at least 2 metres, shops, public transport, customer-service areas, cable cars and ski chairlifts with a pull-down weather cover.
  • The obligation to wear an FFP2 face mask applies to children aged 14 years and over.
  • Children between 7 and 14 years of age can wear a standard face mask.
  • Children up to 6 years of age do not have to wear a face mask.

10. Contact tracing. What does it mean for guests?

  • All guests who stay longer than 15 minutes in a location or at a business must provide  their contact details for the purposes of contact tracing.
  • First name and surname, telephone number and, if available, e-mail address will be collected.
  • If guests are not from the same household, each individual guest must provide these details.
  • The details will be kept for 28 days and then deleted immediately.

Questions about...