In restaurants

In restaurants

FAQs Restaurants and bars

1. Which rules apply in restaurants, mountain huts, bars and cafés?

  • When entering the building guests must take a test, provide proof of a negative test, show a vaccination certificate or be in possession of a document proving that they have already had Covid-19.
  • Guests who stay longer than 15 minutes must provide their contact details.
  • Buffets are permitted as long as the relevant safety rules are respected.

2. Digital COVID Certificate and vaccination certificates: What do I have to know?

  • The Digital COVID Certificate is a digital proof that a person has been vaccinated against COVID-19 (vaccination certificate), or has received a negative test result (test certificate), or has recovered from COVID-19 (recovery certificate; proof that a person has had and recovered from COVID-19 within the last 180 days).
  • Every digital COVID certificate has a QR code with a digital signature – allowing an easy, safe and secure verification of certificates when entering, for example, a restaurant, bar or café, cinema, theatre, event, or swimming pool.

The EU Digital COVID Certificate entered into application on 1 July 2021. Depending on the country you are in, there are specific rules that apply. In Austria the following specific rules apply:

  • For vaccinations which are administered in two doses (BioNTech/Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca) proof of vaccination is valid from the day of the second vaccination for a period of 360 days.
  • For vaccinations which are administered in a single dose (Janssen/Johnson&Johnson) proof of vaccination is valid for 270 days.
  • In addition, it’s still possible to show proof of vaccination in paper format or by showing a vaccination card.

3. Do children also have to meet the "Three Gs" rule?

The "Three Gs" rule means people have to provide proof that they have tested negative, been vaccinated or had Coronavirus and recovered. This, however, does not apply to children under 12 years of age.

4. What do I need to access a restaurant?

The following tests, certificates and documents will be accepted:

  • Do-it-yourself lateral flow antigen test with digital readout: 24 hours
  • Antigen test carried out at an official test centre: 24 hours
  • PCR test: 72 hours
  • Doctor's note or other official confirmation (according to Article 4, Paragraph 18 of the Austrian Epidemics Act) such as an official notice from the authorities ordering you to quarantine at home ("Absonderungsbescheid") from the last six months confirming that you have had and recovered from Coronavirus.
  • Official confirmation that you have neutralising antibodies (confirmation must be no more than 3 months old).
  • Official confirmation of vaccination with a Covid-19 vaccine approved by the EMA (this can be used to access hospitality locations from day 22 after the first vaccine dose was administered).

5. Contact tracing. Which information do guests have to provide?

  • Up to and including the 22 July 2021, contact details of restaurant and hotel guests, visitors to non-public sports and leisure facilities as well as guests attending events with more than 100 persons will be collected.
  • All guests who spend more than 15 minutes in a hospitality location must provide their contact details.
  • This means first name, family name, phone number and (if you have one) e-mail address.
  • This information must be provided by all guests who do not live together in the same household.
  • The data will be stored for 28 days and then deleted immediately.

6. Which rules apply for nightclubs and similar locations?

  • To access nightclubs and similar locations you must be vaccinated or have a negative PCR test. A negative antigen (lateral flow) test or proof that you have Coronavirus antibodies (i.e. you have had and recovered from Covid-19) is not enough. Inside night clubs and similar locations there are no limits on the number of people allowed.
  • People who wish to attend a nightclub or similar location and need a PCR test to do so can register to get a test by visiting the website
  • Unlike antigen (lateral flow) tests, it takes several hours to process a PCR test. The result of the test is then valid for 72 hours from the time when the sample was taken.
  • The current Covid-19 regulations contain exceptions for "gatherings" such as festivals.
  • Festivals must however be approved by the local health authorities, who will take into account the current level of infection in the region where the festival is to take place.
  • Après-ski will be possible, but it will be subject to the same strict rules as nightclubs.

7. How will negative tests and proof of immunity be checked?

Checks will be carried out by the respective businesses themselves, ie. bars, restaurants, hairdressers, etc.

8. Will Christmas markets take place this winter?

  • Based on current information, Christmas markets will be able to take place.
  • They will be subject to the 3G Rule (people must be tested, vaccinated or have had and recovered from Coronavirus)