Staying healthy

Staying healthy

Frequently asked questions on the healthcare system in Tirol.

1. How many Covid-19 cases are there currently in Tirol?

2. Where can I get tested in Tirol?

  • You can pick up free PCR gargle tests from many supermarkets in Tirol.
  • This video explains how the PCR gargle tests work. You must be able to provide an address in Tirol where you are staying if you wish to use this service.
  • Do-it-yourself lateral flow tests taken at home can now only be used for private purposes - they can no longer be used as proof of a negative Covid-19 status to access places such as bars, restaurants, leisure facilities, etc. For this, you must go to an official test centre and take a lateral flow test there.
  • Speak to your accommodation provider for information on your nearest Covid-19 test centre.

Register here to use a PCR gargle test.

3. I have tested positive. What happens now?

Since 1 August 2022 the mandatory period of self-isolation for people who have tested positive has been replaced by restrictions on movements and contacts. These are the rules if you test positive:

  • You must wear a mask when meeting other people (except outdoors, where you must maintain a distance of two metres)
  • You may not enter specific settings such as hospitals, care homes, primary schools and childcare facilities.
  • These restrictions on movements and contacts begin when you test positive (including a positive lateral flow test). If, however, you then take a PCR test which is negative then the restrictions on movements and contacts are lifted.
  • If a positive lateral flow test is confirmed by a PCR test you will be subject to the restrictions on movements and contacts for five days. If after these five days you take a test and have a CT value over 30, the restrictions are lifted.
  • The restrictions on movements and contacts last for a maximum of 10 days.

4. I am subject to restrictions on my movement. What does that mean in concrete terms?

You must wear an FFP2 mask at all times when in the following situations:

  • When not in your own home.
  • When having contact with other people in closed indoor spaces.
  • When outdoors if you are unable to maintain a distance of two metres to other people.
  • When on public transport.
  • When in private vehicles if there is a chance you may share them with other people.
  • When taking part in gatherings with people from other households.
  • You must not visit high-risk settings where there are vulnerable people (for example old people's homes, healthcare facilities, etc.).
  • The restrictions on movements and contacts apply for five days. From day five they can be lifted if you test negative.

5. Who will pay for treatment and accommodation costs if I have to self-isolate?

  • It is not possible to make general statements about how much treatment will cost and who will pay for it.
  • Please contact your health or travel insurance.

Information on travel insurance with additional COVID-19 cover can also be found in the section In advance.

6. Where can I get information if I think I have COVID-19?

Links for different countries:

7. What should I do if I am contacted by the authorities after I have left and informed of a positive COVID-19 case?Links for different countries:

Questions about...